A series of programs called City Conversations is organized under the auspices of the Membership Committee. These gatherings are held the third Tuesday of a month, four times a year, from 7 to 8:30 pm at First Unitarian Church in Avondale. They provide a regular opportunity to network and socialize in an informal setting with members, friends and invited speakers, and to exchange ideas on current topics that impact our lives.
Upcoming City Conversations
See the Calendar for upcoming City Conversations
Past City Conversations have included:
- May 10, 2017: What We Need to Know about Refugees in Our City and How We Can Help, featuring leaders from Heartfelt Tidbits and Refugee Connect
- March 21, 2017: Why Women March, Then and Now with Dr. Renea Frey of Xavier University
- Sept. 20, 2016: Our Stories, Ourselves with members Brenda Merrick, Michael Maloney, member Desirae Futel, and Xiaojie (Shau) Zavon
- June 21, 2016: Women in the Military with Connie Pillich and colleagues in the military
- March 22, 2016: Crafted Storytelling. Life stories told by WCC members, Jeff Dey, Cindy Rowland, Melissa Rowland, Ruth Cronenberg, Nancy Walters, and Jeanne Nightingale
- Feb. 16, 2016: Black Lives Matter: A Discussion Christina Brown, community activist, and Maria Yunker, Compassionate Conversations.
- Nov. 17, 2015: Sustainable and Resilient Communities–how social justice and environmental justice tie together with Dr. Kathleen Smythe, Xavier University professor, global economic development and sustainability
- Sept. 15, 2015: Does Feminism Unite or Divide Us? with Maria Yunker of Act One and Compassionate Conversations
- May 18, 2015: Citizens United: Are Corporations People? Is Money Speech? with Dan Schneider of Social Justice Committee, First Unitarian Church
- April 14, 2015: Hope For You: Choral Work in Prisons with Cathy Roma, Director Emerita, MUSE
- March 17, 2015: Discussion of WCC history and its history books with Deborah Meem , Rachel Powell, Andrea Kornbluh of the University of Cincinnati
- Jan. 20, 2015: Did You Know the Ohio Constitution is Being Revised? with Judge Patrick Fischer Ohio First District Court of Appeals and Jane Anderson, University of Cincinnati Politics Department
- Nov. 18, 2014: Conquering Unemployment with Tim Kraus, Media Working Group
- Oct. 21, 2014: Growing an Urban Community from the Inside Out about Lower Price Hill, with Jen Walters & Mike Morosky of Community and Education Matters
- Oct. 14, 2014: The Decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in the Hobby Lobby Case with Verna Williams of UC Law School
- April 22, 2014: Women in Prison, with David Singleton, executive director of the Ohio Justice & Policy Center.
- November 2013: The School to Prison Pipeline: A Travesty, with speaker Carter Stewart, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio.
- October 2013: Private Prisons for Profit… and Not-For-Profit, with speaker Al Gerhardstein, Civil Rights attorney.
- September 2013: Immigration Reform: Where Are We? with speaker the Rev. Paula Jackson, immigration activist and Episcopal priest.
- February 2013: Community Activism in the West End, with speaker (and member) Vanessa Sparks.
- January 2013: Human Trafficking 101, with speakers Erin Meyer, manager of End Slavery Coalition Cincinnati, and Pamela Matson, FBI Special Agent.
- December 2012: ECONOCIDE: Elimination of the Urban Poor, with speaker Alice Skirtz, PhD/LISW-S.
- November 2012: Low Cost Housing & Homelessness, with speakers Elizabeth Brown of HOME (Housing Opportunities Made Equal) and Alicia Townsend and Ki-Afi Ra Moyo of Affordable Housing Advocates.
- October 2012: Discussion of Ballot Issue 4 (Four-Year Terms for City Council).
- September 2012: Immigration Reform and the Dream Act, with “Dreamers” Jose Cabrera Aulis and Heyra Avila and activist Don Sherman.